If you want to do your part to save the planet, one of the best places you can start is by using good water conservation habits. The world's fresh water supply is depleted every year and the chances of running out of potable water within the next 30 years are very likely. Here are some tips to help you start practicing water conservation right now.
1. The most obvious place to start is your lawn. Try to cut down on how often you water your lawn and if you must do so, only water at cool times of the day. This can increase your water conservation efforts by up to 300 gallons of water every day.
2. Next let's move inside. Check your toilets and faucets for any leaks. Even a small leak can use up to 20 gallons of water per day. Toilets are usually the worst offenders and can waste up to 400 gallons of water every month. It's a good idea to place a brick or even a container of rocks in the toilet tank. This reduces the amount of water stored in the tank and can save the average family nearly 300 gallons each month.
3. If you have a dishwasher, you can save a lot of water by washing your dishes by hand. Just remember to turn the water off in between dishes. You can also use less dish soap which can help you save up to 150 gallons every month. If you must use your dishwasher, make sure you set it to the shortest wash possible to increase your water conservation.
4. When brushing your teeth, turn off the water when you're not using it. It sounds overly simple, but will actually save 150 gallons every month. You can also save extra water in the bathroom by collecting water in a jug when you run your shower or bath water. Instead of wasting all that water waiting for it to get hot, you'll be able to use it on your plants. You can save around 300 gallons each month by using this water conservation technique.
5. Use a broom to clean your driveway instead of a hose. While it may be a little more time consuming, you can end up saving up to 600 gallons every single month.
These five tips when combined can help you save over 11,000 gallons each and every single month. Now that is some serious water conservation. If every household in America employed these five simple and painless techniques, the amount of water saved every year would be staggering. Take a look around your house to see what other water conservation techniques you can employ to save even more. Don't wait to begin saving water; each drop will be incredibly precious in our future.