Green Home Improvement
If you are ready to make some changes to your home, it is a great time to learn how green home improvement can save you money and help save the planet. Many people are getting caught up in the home improvement craze, thanks to the prevalence of do it yourself programs and this is the perfect time to start implementing planet saving techniques in your own home. Here are some simple green home improvement projects that you can do on your own.
1. Install a programmable thermostat. According to the US Department of Energy you can experience significant energy savings by installing one of these special thermostats. If your current thermostat is old, it may not be accurate and you may be wasting money. You can save up to 10% on your home energy costs by relying on a programmable thermostat to keep your home at 65 degrees during the day and 60 degrees at night. It is easy to pay for the thermostat in less than a year thanks to the energy savings you'll enjoy.
2. Install a solar hot water heater. Our water heaters are some of the worst culprits when it comes to energy consumption. By installing a solar powered water heater, you can use of one of the best green home improvement techniques around. In fact, over a period of 10 years you can end up saving more than $3000 on energy costs. These heaters are actually quite easy to install and most people can do it over a weekend.
3. Install awnings. This is an incredibly simply green home improvement project but it can block up to 65% of the heat produced by the sun beating down on your house. Youíll be able to run your air conditioning much less after you install awnings. It is a good idea to focus these awnings primarily on southern exposure windows, since they receive the bulk of the suns rays.
4. Replace your furnace. If your home has an old furnace, you are throwing money away every winter. Tackle this green home improvement project over a weekend or have a professional install a new unit for you. Newer furnaces operate at about 97% efficiency and use much less fuel so youíll be saving even more money. With the rising cost of home heating oil and propane, this can be very significant. If you have electric heat, you can still save a bundle on your electric bill every month.
5. Replace the weather stripping on outside doors. This is a very simple green home improvement project that just about anyone can do. The weather stripping on doors tends to wear over time. It is very easy to replace, and can save you up to 10% on your home energy bills every year.